Hydraulic Fill Manual: For Dredging and Reclamation Works
ISBN/ASIN: 9780203119983,0203119983 | 2012 | English | pdf | xxx, 642/674 pages | 191 Mb
Publisher: CRC Press/Balkema | Author: Jan van ‘t Hoff, Art Nooy van der Kolff
Without proper hydraulic fill and suitable specialised equipment, many major infrastructure projects such as ports, airports, roads, industrial or housing projects could not be realised. Yet comprehensive information about hydraulic fill is difficult to find. This thoroughly researched book, written by noted experts, takes the reader step-by-step through the complex development of a hydraulic fill project.
Up-to-date and in-depth, this manual will enable the client and his consultant to understand and properly plan a reclamation project. It provides adequate guidelines for design and quality control and allows the contractor to work within known and generally accepted guidelines and reasonable specifications. The ultimate goal is to create better-designed, more adequately specified and less costly hydraulic fill projects.
The Hydraulic Fill Manual covers a range of topics such as:
• The development cycle of a hydraulic fill project
• How technical data are acquired and applied
• The construction methods applicable to a wide variety of equipment and soil conditions, the capabilities of dredging equipment and the techniques of soil improvement
• How to assess the potentials of a borrow pit
• Essential environment assessment issues
• The design of the hydraulic fill mass, including the boundary conditions for the design, effects of the design on its surroundings, the strength and stiffness of the fill mass, density, sensitivity to liquefaction, design considerations for special fill material such as silts, clays and carbonate sands, problematic subsoils and natural hazards
• Quality control and monitoring of the fill mass and its behaviour after construction.
This manual is of particular interest to clients, consultants, planning and consenting authorities, environmental advisors, contractors and civil, geotechnical, hydraulic and coastal engineers involved in dredging and land reclamation projects.